Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Last Friday I spent the day with my sister in Portland. I was supposed to get there at one o'clock so we could go see some movie, but unfortunately I didn't even wake up until 1:55pm (all that eating really takes it out of you). So I got there just before three I think... I was able to find her house without panicking like I always do, so that was nice.

Let's see, what happened when I got there? Oh yes, I said hi to my mouse, Butterscotch (did I mention in a post about giving her to my sister?). I held her for a while after finally getting her out of the kitchen hot-glove my sister put in there for her. It makes a really good nest, but once she pees and poops in there... oh god, look out.

I then met the famous Jack the Rat. I've heard so much about him but I've never been able to see him. He's my sister's roommate's rat. Very cute, very friendly, very big. I'm use to mice, so it was like holding a huge-ass mouse. Unlike my mouse, he seemed to enjoy the attention.

We then left for her roommate's work (a cafe) to get a drink (I'd try to spell her name, but I suck at that sort of thing. Kernin? Sounds like KERR-NIN). The Red and Black Cafe I think it was called... probably not but oh well. We went back and saw her, she was mixing up some granola. I helped someone with their computer... we had a drink... and then we left.

Next was to Kinko's so my sister could pick up her paycheck. I got to see her office and meet some of her co-workers so that was cool. We then went to the bank so she could cash it.

Next stop was Mier and Franks and "Santaland." To those of you unfamiliar with Santaland, it is on the 10th floor (very top of the store... the whole building is this store). Anyways, during the Holiday Season the top of this place turns into Santaland. The main highlights are Santa visits and the monorail. Oh yes, the suspended monorail from the ceiling. The thing goes in a big loop around the top of the ceiling and you even get to go through this dark tunnel with glow in the dark stars and planets. So very awesome.

Unfortunately you have to be 4'3" or shorter to ride it. So yeah, I haven't been in it for a LONG time. But I still remember it pretty well, it used to be one of the highlights of Christmas time. Of course, I remembered it being much bigger and more extrvagant, so when I visited it this time for the first time in many years, I was surprised how small it was. That going back to the whole thing everything seems cooler when you're a kid. Actually, I take that back. This is still cool, and I'm fucking jealous of those six year olds that get to ride it. Why should they have all the fun?

After that... we checked out a few stores. We went into the Apple store, but they had employees everywhere looking over your shoulder and buging you. So fuck that.

What else? Oh yeah, then we went to eat some Thai food. Let me mention that it's pitch ass dark outside and raining. And the streets are packed with cars and people since it's the day after Thanksgiving. My suburban heritage didn't prepare me for this type of driving. So that was bad, but my sister fed me Peachios to revitalize me and we survived.

Thai Thai was a very good restaurant and well priced. I was saddened by the lack of customers in the building, so hopefully their business picks up. My sister and I split orders of Pad Thai and Red Curry, both with tofu. We got them pretty spicy too and it turned out to be just perfect. So I really enjoyed it. My mouth is actually watering right now thinking about that meal. Dorm food sucks.

After that we went back to her house, petted Jack some more, watched a little bit of Star Wars on TV, and then I left. It was fun to be able to spend the whole afternoon with her... I literally think it's been four years since the last time I did that (maybe not... even was that time my parents picked me up in Starbacks downtown... I couldn't drive... so... yeah freshman year, four years).

This week is dead week, the week before finals. So nothing is going on... and I'm not really studying all that much. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment