Friday, July 06, 2012

FIRST HALF MARATHON IN COBURG!


Before I talk about my first ever half marathon coming up in two weeks, I will give you a quick update on my run today.

Went great and followed yesterday's very successful speed run. I went out the door wanting to average "low 8s" over the 10k and did just that. 8:14/mile average. 8:28, 8:08, 8:05, 8:19, 8:05, 8:17. Felt great, wasn't a struggle at all. Really good run. Oh - and without bandaids and just Body Glide! Nary a complaint from the pair below (the top pair, get your mind out of the gutter).

It did feel like I was running faster than my times though... I thought I might be doing high 7s... I had the same experience at PRC group Monday. I didn't feel THAT much slower than yesterday. I mean my average time is like 50 seconds a mile slower. So I still need to work on gauging my speed better. I would like to run an eight minute average during my upcoming half... but without constantly looking at a watch I don't know if I will be able to manage that properly.

And with that segue, let's talk about the RUN IN THE COUNTRY in beu-TEE-ful Coburg, OR. How the fuck did I get tangled into this thing? Well, it initially started because Libbie wanted to do a half marathon in Dundee through the rolling wine country. It was going to be totally hilly and brutal and my first half. It has since fallen through (pretty sure), but at the time I was eager to do it but also wanted to see how I really stacked up in a "normal" half marathon.

Knowing I would struggle to a two hour plus finish in Dundee, I didn't want that to be my half marathon PR for the forseeable future. Plus, I had worked my way up in distance, going from the 5k to a 10k to long weekend runs in the double digits, so it was time.

The hunt was on. I need a race that wasn't too expensive, that didn't conflict with previous plans, and didn't have the word "Girlfriends" in it. Surprisingly, in event filled Portland, where it seems like there is something every weekend, there was only one half in the months from July to September that worked. Enter the Run in the Country.

It was a flat course (check), low entry fee of forty bucks (check), had a tech tee (check), had a small field (check), and was professionally timed (check). While it was two hours away in Coburg (basically Eugene), I could incorporate it into a day down in Roseburg on the Umpqua. What could be better for sore muscles than the sweet, cool caress of the mighty Umpqua?

So the plan was on! Wake up at like 4:30, head on down to Coburg, run my ass off, then make a day of it at the Umpqua. Hopefully the car rides after the race aren't too painful... we can stop at Rice Hill for an ice cream break though! Yum!

1 comment:

  1. FINALLY. ;D I was super confused when you said it was hilly because Coburg well, isn't. The Dundee half sounds cool besides the hills. I was looking for half races when I'm in town and the only one that struck my fancy (in OR) is the Newport half. I think Kelsey and I are gonna do the Leavenworth half so we can drown in some bier after!

    ReplyDelete