Sunday, July 15, 2012

HACE CALOR EN EL FANNO CREEK

Collapsed on grassy shade after run.
On Saturday I was scheduled to run ten miles. And by that, it meant I told myself I was going to run ten miles. I ran 11 the weekend before (supposed to be 12, but had some dehydration issues) so this was my one week "taper" before the half marathon next week. I don't even think you are supposed to taper for a half, but oh well. I am.

This run SUCKED. First of all, one of my earbuds went out so I was only getting sound through one ear. Second, while it was only 82 degrees (I went in the heat of the day, 3pm, because I am a genius) there was hella bad humidity. Well, this might be "dry" in Florida, but it was 50% humidity and it was definitely muggy. Doesn't happen very often in Oregon, but when it does, it sucks!

Fanno Creek was the destination because I needed to go somewhere and I didn't want to drive far. Plus, the paths are flat, which was good practice for the flat half, and there was some shade along the route. I carrying a water bottle with me (twenty ounce pop bottle filled with water) so as to not repeat the sprinker make out session. It was kind of annoying carrying it but I got used to it. The hand that was holding it didn't really swing like the other hand, so I had to switch back and forth to make sure both arms were getting the proper motion and didn't get sore or anything.

The trail was nearly empty on a SATURDAY. At THREE in the afternoon. With it being SUNNY. That goes to show you how muggy and miserable it was. People apparently didn't want to be outside and I didn't blame them. I saw ONE other runner the whole hour and a half. We nodded and smiled at each other, both looking miserable, but there was a kinship there.

I took it easy so the heat didn't hill me. I stopped at the water fountain about 4.5 miles in and then again at like 7.75 miles. I dumped the water over my head a couple times to cool down. I probably would have overheated if I didn't do that. I also took my shirt off about 5 miles in because it was hot and I forgot nipple protection. I was sweating a lot and they were starting to get irritated, so off the shirt went. I felt a lot cooler and hopefully my pasty white belly got some sun.

Anyways, around mile 8 or so I started to really feel worn out. The heat was getting to me a little but I pressed on. By the time I reached the car I was at 9.25 so I actually made myself run small little laps until I hit 10 miles. Normally I go a tenth or two over, but not today. Only .02 extra miles. Afterward I found shade under a tree near by car and collapsed. I spread out all my appendages as far as I could to cool off. It felt good. I laid there for about five minutes before summoning the strength to get up. By the time I hit my car I was feeling much better.

My route this fine day.
Today I felt pretty good. Wasn't really sore or anything. My legs feel a bit "used" but not bad. I'll do the six tomorrow at group run and then who knows what. I want to be really fresh for the race Sunday. I am thinking a moderate six on Thursday and then a really easy 5k on Friday? Maybe just skip Friday all together, we'll see.

Overall, this run wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. As much as I'd like to complain about the heat, I ran slow enough to manage it and it didn't seem to drag on too long. To think a marathon was doing that all over again and then running a 10k is insane.

Mile 1: 8:46
Mile 2: 8:50
Mile 3: 8:52
Mile 4: 8:44
Mile 5: 9:07
Mile 6: 9:03
Mile 7: 9:24
Mile 8: 9:11
Mile 9: 9:09
Mile 10: 9:16
Overall: 10.02 miles in 1:30:36 (my goal was 90 minutes, so pretty much yeah)

No comments:

Post a Comment