Thursday, July 05, 2012

YES VIRGINIA, THOMAS IS STILL FAST

So one of the worries I've been having lately is that I am losing my speed (not that I had much to begin with). As I've increased my distances my mile times have naturally gone up. This is normal and quite expected. You can't run a half marathon the same pace you run a 5k. When training for a longer distance event you kind of have to give up being "fast" for a while.

How I picture myself
Well, I am not going to go down without a fight. I've felt slow the last few weeks, ever since 1) moving into the hills, and 2) recovering from my 15 mile expedition. I am happy to report right now I feel GREAT and injury free. Left calf is completely healed. Nary a peep. If I had to pick a "problem" muscle at the moment, it would be my right quad, but it just feels "worked." I think by babying my left calf I overworked it a little. Honestly though, it is not a problem and that is if you put a gun to my head and made me choose a muscle that was 'off.'

Anyways, today I decided to run a 5k as fast as I could. Shake off the slowness. Originally I was going to do a 10k, but it was like 80 degrees and I knew I would flame out in my quest to be fast if I tried going all out on that. Plus, with an easy 10k tomorrow and 12 miles Saturday, I would be at 28 miles for the week, within my 25-30 range goal.

The run went great. Really, it was awesome. I felt great and totally nailed it. 7:08, 7:15, 7:26. I ran 3.22 miles according to Endomondo in 23:30. My record 5k was the Shamrock Run at 23:39, and that course was 3.15 miles. The Earth Day run was 3.25 miles at I ran that in 23:41. So really I was right at my record pace. For having no competition and a comparatively hilly course, that is great. I think the hills are really paying off, my legs felt strong and I could push up the inclines. I was tired at the end, but hey, I left it all out there.

Mission accomplished. I am still fast. I'll have to throw in a fast 5k every two weeks or so, it was kind of fun and a nice break from the usual routine.

You'll also be happy to know I ran the whole thing sans nipple protection other than Body Glide. No issue.

Upcoming posts:

- Half Marathon in Coburg (I SWEAR it'll be soon!)
- My Little Brother Brandon wanting to do a race! <3

1 comment:

  1. Funny that's how I picture you as well ;)

    So excited to run with B!

    ReplyDelete