Monday, April 15, 2013

BOSTON SOLIDARITY


I had planned to come home tonight and write up about my race in Corvallis yesterday. Obviously things in Boston changed a lot of people's plans today. What started out as a fun morning tracking my friends in the race turned bad very quickly.

Anyways, I don't feel like recapping Corvallis tonight, probably will do it tomorrow or the day after. For now my thoughts are with those affected by the tragedy in Boston. What a horrible thing to happen. And although it wasn't targeted at runners (I'm sure this wasn't an anti-running terrorist group at fault), you can't help but take it extra personally as a runner.

Boston is the pinnacle of our sport. Unless running is your job and you aspire to be an Olympian, Boston is pretty much the dream of everyone. It is the granddaddy of them all. So to have it marred like this really just pisses me off. Lucky for me, everyone I knew in Boston is okay, but a lot of people can't say that.

At run group tonight it was a little emotional, but we ran as usual. The news was there and interviewed a few of us and also might have caught the run group taking off for our run. I ended up running 5.3 miles on very sore legs. Averaged 9:09 a mile and felt decent considering how sore I was.

To sum up, this sucks. I am mad and sad all at the same time. I did run an awesome race in Corvallis yesterday though, so I will recap that soon.

1 comment:

  1. I don't want to sound cray, but I pseudo-predicted this. At the Disney World marathon I was standing with Dan and was like, "someone could totally bomb us. There's 30,000 of us, minimal security to get in. How easy it is to photocopy a bib? Get even a gun in?" Of course I didn't want that to happen and figured it wouldn't, so Boston was still completely shocking. I found out right before bed but there wasn't much info out so had to wait til morning. That's where Lauren went to high school! <3

    ReplyDelete