Thursday, April 25, 2013

POST EARTH DAY RUN MUSINGS

Reflecting back on the Earth Day Run, I really did have a great race. With the way I was feeling to run that time was pretty dang good. Had I been feeling better and actually trained for it, who knows what I could do a 5k in. I think my ultimate goal will be a sub 20 minute 5k (6:25/mi), but that will certainly be a year or two down the road. Small steps, especially when my focus is on longer distances.

There are two things that really shine through from this race...

1) My average pace was below 7 minutes a mile, the first time that has ever happened in a race for me. While it was only a 5k, that is still a huge step! Now, if I could just keep it up for 23.1 more miles, I could qualify for Boston. Ha!

2) My splits were negative. That NEVER happens with me. I always seem to fall off a little but that didn't happen in this race. By the looks of things I got stronger as the race went on. Now, I certainly didn't feel better as the race went on, but that's not supposed to happen in a 5k. Overall I really like the look of my splits!

My next race is the Rum Run 10k. That is another hilly course, but I intend to set my 10k record on that. After that I'll have a couple of half marathons as I train for the Portland Marathon this October.

The marathon will be my main focus now. I've adjusted the training plan I posted earlier to incorporate races and other "obstacles" this summer. As long as I follow that pretty well I should be relatively prepared for the marathon. The idea of a marathon still terrifies me though... 26.2 miles. Holy crap! I remember when a four mile run made me go "holy crap!" though so it is all relative.

The day after the Earth Day run I decided to haul ass again at run group. Ended up running four sub eight minute miles and 7:58 overall for 7.1 miles. That wasn't smart. I was even sorer on Tuesday and took it real easy yesterday at group. Five miles at nine minutes a mile. That is more like it! I think I am going to go on a 10k run today and I'll take it easy, shoot for 8:45s. One speed run a week is enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment