Sunday, April 28, 2013

TWELVE MILER & A DILEMMA

Saturday's route. Really like it! File away in "good 12 mile routes" folder...
Yesterday I ran twelve miles for my weekend long run. It went really well, I kept a decent clip during the run and didn't feel all that tired at the end. Today my legs are surprisingly spry, a teeny tired, but not bad. It feels pretty nice to be able to run 12 miles at an 8:49 clip and be basically fine the next day.

My route took me toward the Fanno Creek Trail. Down that to George Morlan Plumbing, then back a little different way. It was a great day, sunny and low 60s, so it was nice to have the water fountain at miles 5 and 7. Lots of people out on the trail today, so while I ran alone I certainly didn't feel lonely!

This also means that this week I ran 30.6 miles, only the second time I've ran over 30 since last June. So despite running that much, I feel really good. I have to be careful not to escalate my miles too fast, but I'll keep that in check. I did this week what I've been meaning to do for many, many weeks... three weekday runs of 5-7 miles and then my long run. That will be the staple during my marathon training, so it's good to get into the swing of things.

That leads me into my dilemma... marathon training. I've decided to officially start it a couple of weeks early. I want to be as prepared as possible. I am really trying to avoid the twenty mile "blow up" that hits a lot of first timers. The solution to that seems to be a strong base of miles and many long runs that are pushing 16 miles and venturing towards the 20s (along with proper nutrition before/during race).

I've already decided to do three 20 mile plus runs (one 22er). Maybe I could do four though? Would that help? Is going from 13 to 14 to 15 to 16 too conservative? Should I do 12, 14, then 16? Gah!

That marathon plan that I published a few weeks back has been changed more times than I can count. I keep hemming and hawing. I don't want to push it and injure myself but at the same time I want to be as prepared as possible.

So here's the plan... I think I am going to try 14 next weekend. That would be my second longest run ever. If it goes well, I'll try 16 the next weekend, then take a down week at 10 miles. If 14 proves to be too much, I'll take it easy the next weekend and settle into a more "ease in" plan.

Right now 12 miles is no problem. In a couple months I hope 16 is no problem. Anyways, I'll shut up. I think about this too much.

1 comment:

  1. I've been going up by 1-2 every week for 1-3 weeks and then down a week. Seems to be working well for me. I'm going to start "training" for Portland at the end of June.

    ReplyDelete