Saturday, April 13, 2013

THE NIGHT BEFORE CORVALLIS

Traditional pre-half marathon clothes layout.
Half marathon number two is almost upon me. I was really geeked the night before my half marathon last time. This time I am excited and nervous but not as much. I am eager to see how well I can do!

I stopped by Portland Running Company today and bought a pack of Gu Chomps for the race. Normally I don't refuel during my training runs so I haven't tested them out yet, but I am intrigued to see how the "chew" works versus the packet of flavored snot. Can I just suck on them maybe? Then again, I can't really suck because my mouth will be open to breathe. Papa can't run a half marathon just via the nose.

There are eight chewy "blocks" in there and this package is equivalent to two regular Gu packages. I figure I'll break them up and make it fun, so I'll have one block at mile 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12. That might be annoying though, maybe I'll just have two at 5, 7, 9 and 11. We'll see - I'm hoping these don't leave me feeling as thirsty as a normal Gu does.

There are six aid stations and I plan to drink at each of them since I won't be carrying water with me. The weather is looking decent... overcast with a chance of showers. If it does get wet, it should be too bad. The temperature in the 40s will be cold when waiting to start, but once I get running, it will be perfect.

I laid out all my clothes in anticipation of the run. Nothing special, just the usual. I am going to band-aid my nipples just for the heck of it. If it does get wet I don't need sensitive nips slowing me down. Also going to use my Shadow Pak which I haven't used in a while. Plan to store my Chomps and keys in there.

Anyways, that's it. Ready to get this thing going! I think I am going to take a sleep aid tonight to make sure I am able to get to bed. Normally I am a fall asleep as soon as the head hits the pillow sort of guy, but when I am excited for something I have more trouble falling asleep. Last thing I need to be doing is trying to PR a half marathon on four hours of sleep.

2 comments: