Thursday, May 02, 2013

MEDAL MUSINGS

Medal for age division 1st place in a 5k? Yes, please!
With nothing major on the horizon for a while other than training and a 10k in a couple weeks, I figured now would be a good time to muse about something I've thought about before. The topic at hand: race medals. The issue: proliferation to all running events, almost becoming an expected "item" as you cross the finish line.

Let me start off by saying that I realize I probably have a different relationship with medals than some people. They can be fun, I like them (for example, that Corvallis medal rocked), but I don't really think about them. When I sign up for an event, at no time do I even think "I wonder what the medal looks like?" Frankly, it has no impact whatsoever on my enjoyment of the events. So when I get emails from races bragging about their medals or to sign up for this related race because 'look at the large huckleberry medal you get' I just have to laugh. A medal is not going to convince me.

It is part of the bigger problem of what I call "race inflation," where a 5k race can now run you $40 or even more. Some of these events are just out of control. Everyone gets a t-shirt, a medal, free beer, free food, a goodie bag, live entertainment, etc. Now, I like some of those things too, but I also like a race that is, you know, a race. Earlier this year I did the Zena Road Runs 15k. That was an awesome race! There were no t-shirts (maybe it was an option, but you could option out), no medals, just a race with food afterwards. It was $10! Ten bucks!

Now, I like a mix of more spartan (but very well put on) races like Zena and more "full featured" races like the Earth Day run with t-shirt and beer and whatnot. At no time though do I really want a medal for anything less than a half marathon. Frankly, after a half marathon, I want a goddamn medal. :) I will wear my Portland Marathon medal proudly this fall if I don't die first. However, I don't want a medal for every 5k or 10k that I do. Leave them for the special races.

Random ass medal just for funsies? No thanks!

I also realize that a 5k is a HUGE accomplishment to a lot of people and I shouldn't poo poo them wanting a medal because they've really earned that. I get that too. So it's hard. Just like the "3.1" sticker I saw on a car the other day. I wanted to LOL, but then I thought, "you know what, that probably means a lot to that person and they worked really hard for it" and then kind of felt like an ass. Just because I am holding out for the 26.2 doesn't mean everyone has too.

Anyways, everyone can be happy. I will steer clear of the Color Runs, the Electric Runs, and the Fifty Dollar 5K with Tons of Shit races of the world. Those runs can be "gateways" for a lot of people, get their feet wet in running, and then who knows, in a year they might be a race snob too. Or people who just like running for fun and don't want to get uber serious about it, those are perfect for them. They have no need for a Zena 15k.

My perfect race:
  • Official results at the race and then posted online within 24 hours
  • Tech t-shirt where purchase is optional
  • Well organized (before, during, & after)
  • Not predominantly an out and back
  • Food to refuel afterwards
  • Medal if a half marathon or greater
  • If there is a beer garden, give me a free one before charging
  • Manage the size well. Use pace signs or corrals to reduce congestion
  • Reasonably priced!
  • Free puppies
Okay, the scope of this post went from race medals to "race inflation" in general, but oh well.

Running 14 miles this weekend. Will do basically the same route as last time with a few modifications to add two miles. I'm boring like that. Supposed to be hot, so the water fountain in Woodard City Park will be handy and I'll have to take it easy.

3 comments:

  1. I have really mixed feelings about this and probably contradict myself. From Twitter and blogging I'm learning about tons of great race series that really put runners first, like Zooma or Nike Womens, and it makes me less interested in series like Warrior Dash and Rock n Roll, that just want profit. With that said, the Disney freako in me will never pass up a Disney race, I pay out the ass to run a horribly crowded trail for giant Disney bling. It's everything you hate, and I should hate too, but damnit I love it so! Seeing my friends and volunteering at the expos, running through the parks etc. All that really blows up my skirt. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Rock n Roll is ridiculous. I looked at how much the Portland one was and it was over $100 for a friggin half marathon. I realize it's very "full featured" but still! I agree, I like runs that put runners first and aren't all about money.

    Disney is different! One day I will do a Disney race and will love every overpriced, crowded second of it. I'll probably be a "one and done" on that series though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the Warrior Dash in 2010, and I will never do another "novelty" race again. I understand why people like them, but they definitely aren't for me. Your checklist of a good race sounds perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete