Monday, May 27, 2013

2013 RUM RUN 10K RACE REPORT

Libbie near the lakeside finish getting photobomed by Megan.
Yesterday was the 10k Rum Run in my hometown of Tualatin. I woke up around 7am and got ready. Libbie came by and we carpooled over there and checked in. After getting my bib we had a little bit of time to kill, which was spent waiting in line for the bathrooms. I didn't really have to go, but figured I might as well. Once done with that mission it was only a few minutes until the start.

I lined up with the "8 Minutes & Under" people and waited for the horn. Before I knew it, we were off! I started at a pretty good clip and was feeling pretty comfortable. My goal pace was 7:20/mile and I figured I was hitting about that. The first mile or so of a race always sucks because you can't ease into it or anything, it's just zero to sixty almost instantly. Despite that, my legs were feeling pretty good. My lungs were the ones complaining the whole run, and if you are going to have one or the other complain, I'll take the lungs thank you. My legs felt pretty damn good, which was the plan in taking a lighter load during the week.

Some of the hills in Durham.
Same course as last year, so I knew what to expect. Through Tualatin Community Park, across the bridge over the Tualatin River, and then left into Cook Park. We then had to climb that small hill that is also in the Earth Day Run. Killed that part. Passed a couple of people on that hill that I never saw again. I was gassed at the top, but easily able to keep pace. Then about half a mile flat along Durham where I was able to catch my breath, before ducking down in the neighborhoods and getting some downhill before entering the park again. Feeling pretty good at this point!

We ran back through Cook Park and then merged with the 5kers about mile 4. A check on how I was feeling at this point... great. As good as you can feel during a race, I mean my lungs were screaming, I wanted to stop, but honestly, you are supposed to feel that way. My legs had a lot of spring and I could tell I was doing a PR pace. What more do you want?

Unfortunately, the 5kers were in the way again this year, including many people with strollers (some three across) so there was some ducking and dodging. Not as bad as last year, I think I am able to deal with it better now or am just less polite about giving people "space." Frankly, I passed most of them in the neighborhoods of Durham and they were nice and wide. If you were running the tangents it was actually not very crowded at all, most were hugging the right shoulder of the road.

Those hills through Durham are the major test of this race. They weren't as bad as I remember from last year, which tells me one thing... I am a stronger hill runner. Last year they nearly killed me, this year they were annoying but I was able to deal with them. My pace certainly slowed during this section, but I was still able to pull out a 7:56 mile. The hilly part is about half a mile long according to my measurements, so that's a pretty good mile time!

Enjoying the after party!
One of my goals this year was to have more in the tank left after the hills so I could attack the final downhill mile and loop around the lake. Mission accomplished. I was certainly pretty tired at this point, but I was able to attack this section more to my liking. I was flying past 5k people and I have to admit, I kind of liked having them on the course. Around mile four you were feeling pretty tired, but all of a sudden a bunch of people for you to pass are dropped on the course. You feel like a Kenyan out there blowing by all those people. Anyways, it was fun to blow by them on that downhill part.

Finally I got to the final lap around the lake. There was an older gentleman in his 50s that was about 20 yards ahead of me the whole damn race that I made my mission to pass. I pretty much went into a full on sprint around the lake. I finally caught him with about fifty yards to go. He wasn't going to be passed by a young whippersnapper, so he turns on the jets and retakes the lead. I then turn on the jets (sub 5 minute mile crap here) and catch back up. I get back into his eyeline and he lunges forward and takes the victory. Probably finished a quarter second ahead of me. I'll give it to him. Anyways, I had a lot in the tank obviously to get into a sprinting match at the finish! The clock read 45:50 something when I crossed so I knew I set a PR by a healthy margin.

That last little push took a lot out of me, so once finishing I stumbled around for a minute or so to catch my breath. I recovered really well though, much better than after the Great Pumpkin Run or Hot Buttered Run last fall when I wasn't in as good of shape. I waited for Libbie to finish, she ended up running with Megan, a friend from our PRC run group, so that was fun for her. She was taking it easy because she is running the RnR San Diego Marathon next weekend.

My tracking with mile markers.
Two beers, two mojitos, and some teriyaki chicken later, I was ready to go home. Very successful race though, a new 10k PR! Wohoo!

Official chip time: 45:56, 7:14/mi pace, 4/24 M2529, 36/598 overall.

Splits:
Mile 1: 6:56 (a tad fast perhaps, feeling good)
Mile 2: 7:30 (first hill, settling into pace)
Mile 3: 7:11 (that's about right)
Mile 4: 7:19 (finishing up in Cook Park)
Mile 5: 7:56 (Durham hill hell)
Mile 6: 7:16 (very last bit of hills, downhill approach to finish)
Finish: 1:48 (extrapolated 5:09(!) mile pace... literally this starts just as we approach the lake. Told ya I sprinted!)

1 comment: