Sunday, May 05, 2013

MY FIRST FOURTEEN MILER

Oh Fanno Creek, what would I do without you?
Yesterday I ran my second longest run ever at 14 miles. I ran 15.4 miles last summer on a whim but I really wasn't ready for it at the time. I was ready for 14 miles this time, it was just .9 miles more than a half marathon and I got those down pat!

The main obstacle today was the heat. It got to a high of 85 today, crazy for this time of year. I actually got out the door shortly after 10am but as soon as I stepped outside I knew I was in for a long run. It was already 72 and it felt hotter! I reminded myself to just take it easy and not speed up because I knew the pace I was going at would feel too easy.

Honestly there was nothing super unique about this run. Luckily I had some shade in parts so I wasn't completely in the sun all the time. I basically did the same run as my twelve miler last weekend but just added part of the Fanno Creek Trail south of 99W.

The water fountain at 5.35 and 8.35 miles (same one) was my saving grace. I stopped each way and drank a bunch and then also splashed water all over my face. Helped me stay cool and hydrated. I could have really used a water fountain from miles 11-14 too though. Kind of got dehydrated there at the end but not too bad.

Ate a Gu around mile 7... Lemon Sublime. It wasn't sublime. It was okay though. It got really warm in my pocket and that really didn't help the 'snot' feeling I got as it slid down my throat. Yuck, anyways...

I did feel bad passing this one girl on Murray Road (busy road). She was running on the sidewalk totally jamming to some music and as I went to pass her she FREAKED out as soon as I got in her eye line. I felt bad for sneaking up on her and freaking her out (she almost about screamed) but that's what she gets for jamming to an iPod along a busy road... people are going to pass you from time to time! Maybe I am just really creepy?

Miles 12-14 I really wanted to stop and pause. I could duck under a tree, pause my workout, and nobody would know. I really, really wanted to do that. It took every ounce of me not too. It was friggin' hot as hell! Anyways, I was able to power on and my pace actually stayed pretty close to the same towards the end. I was happy to get it over with though and stopped right at 14 miles.

All told I did 14 miles in 2:10:24 for an average mile pace of 9:19. Not mad for a 14 mile run in the heat! It was 79 degrees when I finished around 12:15pm.

Splits: 9:09, 8:59, 8:57, 9:10, 9:11, 9:32, 9:17, 9:26, 9:22, 9:24, 9:17, 9:43, 9:19, 9:29.

3 comments:

  1. WOW! Great pace because it was hot! You need a water bottle of some sort to start training with. I like my handheld one a lot but also thinking of getting a belt since even with stops to refill it didn't feel like enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, that sounds miserably hot to me! But you definitely had a great pace for that kind of heat.

    Have you tried chocolate Gu? It's my favorite, especially if you keep it in the fridge (or freezer, in your case). Tastes like chocolate frosting! (Peanut butter is awesome, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haven't tried chocolate yet, but I have one ready to go. I was about to use it this weekend but switched to try the Expresso One at the last minute (it was pretty decent). I'll have to try it next!

    ReplyDelete