Wednesday, January 29, 2014

GETTING OVER SORENESS

Miami Half Marathon research (Subway
Surfers is in Miami right now). Hopefully
there are fewer trains to dodge?
I've noticed a change in my legs and recovery over the last few weeks/months. I am not sure exactly when it all started and I cannot pinpoint it to any specific action.

After a run I'd often be sore the next day, especially if it was a hard effort or a long run. Sometimes this soreness would linger for days, especially after a long run, and affect other runs. I'd be hobbling around like an old man and wouldn't be able to run hard for a few days.

The solution to this problem for me was always to begin foam rolling. I haven't done that yet, because I can't bring myself to pay $25 for a piece of foam. However, I have started doing the following things in the last few weeks/months:

1) Drink more. Water, that is. I drink about 20oz before bed each night. Maybe being better hydrated helps my muscles flush the soreness?

2) Stretch more. Stretching after a run definitely can help reduce soreness. I have tried to do this more but am still not 100%. I am much better about it after a long run though when my legs are screaming. Often I take a hot bath and then stretch after a long run.

3) Self massage. Find myself doing this after long runs a lot. Try to do some of the job of the foam roller with my own hands. Often I do this in the bath after a long run and then stretch after.

4) Started taking a multivitamin because I saw gummy ones at the store and they looked good. Maybe something in there is helping?

5) Started training harder. Maybe my legs have just finally adjusted to recovering faster. Now that I am marathon training again I'm doing much more speedwork. Maybe my legs have finally decided to adapt.

While the soreness is gone, my muscles still definitely get tired. If I run 16 miles on Saturday, when I go to do my run on Monday my legs aren't doing to feel springy and fresh. I'm not sore, which is a huge improvement, but they still have lingering fatigue. However, this is much easier to deal with and very common when you are training. Your legs aren't fresh at mile 20 of a marathon either, but you still have to run on them!

I'll have a post previewing the Miami Half Marathon this weekend soon. Overall, the time zone change is going to be really hard in such a short window (race starts at 3am my time), so I won't set any lofty goal there and just look to enjoy myself!

1 comment:

  1. Highly recommend being diligent with your stretching after every run. I hate that it takes so much time, but I went from hobbling for a few days after runs to having little soreness.
    As far as foam rollers go, I bought one on Amazon for around $12, so keep your eyes out. My soreness was more aided by stretching, but I still think it was worth the investment.

    ReplyDelete