Monday, January 13, 2014

SUNDAY RUNDAY

My route Sunday, improvised after hitting impossibly flooded trail south of Scholls Ferry Road.
This weekend I did my long run on Sunday instead of Saturday, which ended up being very advantageous. Normally I have Brandon on Sunday so I run on Saturday, but this weekend I was invited to a watch party for the Broncos playoff game on Sunday so I switched the days around. Good thing too, because it absolutely poured on Saturday and was extremely windy. So many runners on my Facebook feed were complaining about how terrible it was out there.

Sunday didn't look much better, the forecast said 100% chance of rain at 10am and 11am, but it ended up not really even sprinkling. I was expecting a wet run and instead it was nice and dry and the sun even came out toward the end. Overall it was a really good run and I felt strong the entire fourteen miles. Two of my fastest miles were 12 and 14, and that last 14th mile was the fastest of the whole day. Really set a positive tone for the rest of the day.

The route I was going to run ended up being flooded from the rain the day before. I should have realized the Fanno Creek Trail was going to be terrible, but I guess I didn't think it would be as bad as it was. After finding creative ways around a couple very large puddles shortly after crossing Scholls Ferry there was a "puddle" (aka lake) that basically said "Thou shalt not pass." It was crazy, it had to be at least a foot deep across the entire span of the trail/park. So at that point I turned around run back toward my place. I ended up just running most my normal 10k loop to get the rest of the miles in to hit 14.

Today I officially start my marathon training plan. The last two Mondays I've hit the rollercoaster seven mile route hard (7:56 and 7:53/mile). My body feels up for that again today but my partner in crime, Alejandro, is in Costa Rica for two weeks. I am not sure if I want to bust ass alone... but maybe. I'll play it by ear. My goal is to run the seven mile route once a week (I can do five the other group run) and it doesn't necessarily have to be the "fast" run so we'll see!

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome, I love it.
    #runninghard

    ReplyDelete