Friday, February 21, 2014

KIND OF A LOST WEEK

When I decided to go skiing, I knew it would have some impact of my running. I was just hoping it wasn't in the realm of a blown ACL or anything, so I am grateful that wasn't the case. There were two things that resulted however:

1) Bruised toenail. An ill-fitting rental boot on my right foot caused 75% of my big toenail to bruise. I am sort of afraid it will fall off, but there is a "healthy stripe" on the right hand side of the nail that goes from the base to the top. So I'm thinking it might stay on because it's definitely still "intact" there. We'll see. It hasn't affected my running at all so at this point it's more of a cosmetic thing (and hoping that nobody steps on my foot). I'll spare you the picture.

How I feel at the
moment.
2)  Generalized soreness. Skiing is a hell of a leg workout. And while I felt stronger skiing this time due to my running, the result the next few days was I felt like I had run 20 miles and my legs were trying to recover. I ran six miles the night after (Tuesday) and just kind of shuffled along at a 9:30/mile pace. Then the next night at PRC group I did five miles at 9:00/mile, still feeling pretty worn.

I took Thursday off to rest and plan to run another 10k tonight. I am feeling better, but still a little sore and used. My hamstrings are definitely the most tired. It also seemed to irritate my "butt muscle" that was causing issues a few times. I think I'll take it easy again tonight. That muscle can get aggravated by hills or speed workouts, so it is in my best interest to let it heal. I have plenty of time to do tempo stuff before Vancouver.

Luckily, the schedule already had this week as a "down week." Tomorrow for my long run I'll be running either 12 or 14. I'll play it by ear depending on how I feel after tonight's run. Instead of going to Coach Jim, I'll be joining a friend as he runs a 50k for his 50th birthday. He is doing it in loops around Summerlake Park (I think each loop is like .975 miles), so I'll join him midway through for 13-15ish laps.

So, despite being a "lost week," I'll still be getting all my scheduled miles in. I didn't skip a run. They will just be a little easier than planned, but recharging is more important at the moment than hitting it hard. Hopefully I can get back to that next week by being smart this week.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:53 PM

    I have a bruised big ton nail (about 50%) that happened in October! The nail is still there and the bruising is gone but it doesn't look pretty at all! No pain and I'm guessing it will just grow out at some point. I would recommend a dark color nail polish and a pedicure ;)

    -Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good to hear. I'm hoping it'll stay on and just look ugly for nine months while it grows out. Maybe I'll get a pedi for Ragnar. ;)

    ReplyDelete