Tuesday, February 18, 2014

SKIING! ... AND 18 MILES

Yesterday I went skiing for the first time in nearly five years (previous time was 3/20/2009 according to the lift ticket still on my ski pants). I was scared I had lost all my skill after taking a break that long, but turns out skiing is sort of like riding a bike. After a few runs to get back in the groove I felt pretty confident, like 95% of my skill was still there.

I actually went the whole day without falling. Not that you should judge your skill on that, many people could glide down easy runs all day and do that, but after taking a five year break and actually getting into some challenging terrain, it felt pretty good. The snow was nice, very powdery, which meant you had to work a lot harder. It was a great workout and my running definitely helped, I think I would have been a lot more exhausted at the bottom of the hill without it.

Thinking about possibly getting my own equipment and going up more often next year. The only problem is that with my standard M-F job it would be very hard to train for a spring marathon AND go skiing on the weekends. Would be nice to go on a Wednesday when it is was less crowded than on a Sunday after long run the day before.

Speaking of long runs, I did my longest run since the Portland Marathon on Saturday. Eighteen miles with the Coach Jim group. It was raining the entire run and I was absolutely drenched at the end. To be honest though, the run went really well. It was a challenge but 18 wasn't really a problem. Didn't even feel too sore the next day. Definitely gave me confidence that the upcoming 20 milers for my Vancouver training are very doable and possibly won't be as painful as the first time around.

Since I skipped the PRC group last night to go skiing (I had the day off for President's Day), I'm going to try to run tonight on my own. My legs feel pretty good from skiing, didn't seem to use any muscles I don't normally use at least, so we'll see how tonight goes. I'll probably just take it easy and then try to do something more challenging on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment