Saturday, February 08, 2014

SNOW RUN!

So we are currently in the middle of the biggest snowstorm in Portland since December 2008. That year I was at home for winter break in college and ended up basically being stuck inside the house with my parents for two full weeks. That was the worst snowstorm I can remember since I was born, although there was something when I was 7-8ish that rivaled it.

Needless to say, the 10 inches or so of snow we've had in the last three days has been kind of a big deal (I think we got around 15 or so in 2008 over a week and then it took forever to warm up). Since snow doesn't happen all that often, we Portlanders get stuck inside as the lack of plows/sanding/salting most other places have plus our hilly terrain means a no go on the driving. At least for me. I've had enough ice incidents to not venture out in that mess!

The storm hit mid-day on Thursday. I left work early and got home just as the road started going from sort of covered to covered in snow. Glad I left when I did, that commute home on Thursday was a disaster. We got about four inches that night. Friday I worked from home as more snow came down. Another four or five inches. Didn't get out and run... by the time I was "off work" it was getting dark and it seemed like a bad idea.

So today I was itching to get outside. I wasn't about to attempt a long run in the snow, but I did a solid five miles while it snowed (another inch or two). It was fun! Definitely a slower pace than normal, but I stuck mostly to the roads where the snow was packed down by the cars. Footing wasn't too bad. Did have to battle through the powder up a sidewalk on Murray (that road is far to busy to run on) but other than that tried to keep it in the neighborhoods. Those five miles plus another three on a walk to the store and back for groceries meant a pretty active day!

It was a lot of fun. Got numerous positive comments from other people out and about and exchanged hellos with quite a few other crazy runners. Even got a cheer from two guys who had set up lawn chairs on the hilly Murray Blvd. to watch the cars slide around. That being said, it is a novelty that probably won't last. I'd love to go for another snow run tomorrow, but it looks like freezing rain tonight could really wreck havoc with the ability for me to get a grip on the roads. At this point I'm ready for it to melt and get back to normal!

2 comments:

  1. So white out! Seattle got a little more than a dusting this weekend. It melted away the next day though which was nice. If this rivals 2008 must be pretty crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was a fun run. As soon as it gets icy though it needs to go away. I'd be up for a dusting if it meant I could do another snow run!

    ReplyDelete