Tuesday, May 27, 2014

2014 RUM RUN 10K RACE REPORT

Finishing up in record time. Year three of the Rum Run 10.2k is in the books.
Well, another successful race is in the books and I did a lot better than I expected. I wasn't quite sure I'd be able to hit under 45 minutes and I ended up almost cracking 44 minutes. Despite the long course, I really enjoyed this race for the third time. I ended up getting 2nd in my age group so in addition to a shiny new PR I also got a medal to commemorate the run.

Things didn't start out so well race day morning. Nothing in particular went wrong, I was just really, really nervous. It wasn't quite the normal nervous excitement, it was more of a nervous fear and dread. I knew I was going to have to run my ass off and it was going to suck, and even then I might not get what I was ultimately shooting for. I choked down a banana and yogurt but wanted to throw up the entire time.

And they're off! I'm the one with horrible posture.
I felt a little bit better once I got the start line and picked up my race packet. Libbie came to cheer me on (she didn't race this year), so it was nice to hang out with her to distract myself from the race starting. I arrived around 45 minutes before the start of the race and once I picked my packet up time seemed to go by pretty fast. Before I knew it I was in the chute ready to go. This is when the fear and dread started to return.

They actually started the race on time this year, so at 8:30am I was running my little (okay, big) ass off. I hate standing there when they are counting down the time, I was dreading the start so much, but once we were off that all went away. I was now on a mission... these 45 minutes would suck, but they would be temporary.

My goal was to hit about a 7:00 pace on the nose, knowing I had to get a 7:05 overall average to get my under 45 minute goal time. I tried to not look at my watch the first quarter mile or so, instead just running what felt right and following the people in front of me. When I finally looked down I was running a 6:30 average pace. Yikes! I dialed it back a little. It felt okay at the moment, but I knew that was not sustainable.

New course this year, still long at 6.35 miles.
Hit the first mile in 6:54 (last year was 6:56, so basically the same). It didn't feel too difficult, but it was certainly a challenge. I was having a problem trying to hit 7:00, it seemed like I was either going 7:30 or 6:45. Eventually I was able to settle in at the correct pace.

This year we had about a quarter mile or so through a barkdust trail in the woods at Cook Park (same "off road" section as the HoHo 5k). Wasn't expecting that, so it threw me for a little bit of a loop. Was averaging 6:55 on my mile going into that section and 7:20 when I came out. I suspected my GPS lost me a little bit and I didn't slow THAT much, but still, it was a tad concerning. Was I going to fall off big time after my fast start?

My watch didn't beep until a good 100 yards or so after the mile two marker, so it definitely did lose me a bit. Mile time was 7:01. Still on pace, but getting fairly winded because I picked it up quite a bit after the woods to try and get that mile time down. Next mile was through some paved Cook Park paths, then out into the adjacent neighborhood and uphill to Durham Road. This mile came in at 7:12.

Right before the final lap around the lake.
At this point my average page is getting close to 7:05. I've just ran uphill and I'm sucking air and wanting the whole thing to be over. It's only half done. In my head I am crafting my "I had to slow down and didn't PR" blog post. Luckily, the long, boring, straight run along Durham road actually helped me. It was a mile and a half of just straight road, nothing to think about. I was able to focus on my breathing and regain my senses. Mile four 7:02. Maybe I can do this.

Mile five included the final uphill stretch of the race. I was kind of sad Durham was over, but I knew once I climbed the hill it would be another straight stretch were I could regain my senses. When climbing that final incline I looked around me. Skinny guy in official looking singlet with shaved legs. Two young women who looked like college track athletes. An older gentleman in his 50s with long legs and a body that just screamed "runner." And me. I don't think of myself as a great or natural runner, so the fact I was hanging with these people five miles in was a boost of energy.

That second to last mile came in at 7:10. At this point I'm averaging like 7:02/mile, so pretty close to that 45 minute mark. I'm confident though. I know I have a downhill, and despite my lungs burning and screaming, my legs feel pretty good. I can attack that downhill and the race will be over in less than ten minutes. I'm almost there, a PR is in my sights.

2nd place male aged 25-29.
And attack I did. Felt awesome on that downhill portion and carried that momentum into the flatter final stretch. 6:47 final mile. Average pace of 6:33/mile around the lake. Pocket of people cheering for me at the beginning of the lake loop (Libbie, Megan, Steve, and Michelle). My mom and dad were near the finish line and I was able to high five them seconds before crossing. It was over! I got a new PR!

I was expecting a 44:30 or so, turns out my watch said 44:02. Official results pegged it at 44:01. So almost under 44 on the long course. If the course were actually a 10k, I would have ran a 43:20 or so. Awesome time! Average pace below seven minutes a mile too. On a 10k! Holy crap! Take a look at my progression over the years:

Rum Run 2012 2013 2014
Time 47:31 45:56 44:01
Pace 7:29/mi 7:14/mi 6:56/mi
Age Div 6/27 4/24 2/25

Solid! Honestly thought there was no way I'd be running this thing under seven minutes a mile. Turns out I was second in my age division so I waited around for the awards ceremony, which took FOREVER. Really pissed me off. They did not have their shit together. Looked like the results company, AA Sports, was the culprit for the delay. So after standing around twiddling our thumbs for over an hour they finally got to them. Worth the wait though!

Official Results: 44:01, 6:56/mile. 27/569 overall, 21/208 male, 2/25 M25-29.

1 comment:

  1. You did freaking awesome!!! I think it's funny that you were drafting the blog post in your head about how it just wasn't your race--I do that all the time on my runs, haha. If I have a bad run, I pretty much write the post in my head, explaining what happened; but usually, it ends up turning around (like your race). Anyway, congrats on an awesome race!

    ReplyDelete