Monday, May 19, 2014

NEW RACES!

I ended up deciding on my Fourth of July holiday race and also added a local 5k to try and set a new PR. I updated the race schedule post from a week ago, but I'll mention them briefly here:

Soles2Souls on June 7th - Small, local 5k... shooting for a new PR.
Stars and Stripes Half Marathon on July 5th - Chose this over Foot Traffic. Price and convenience won out. Will be shooting for a PR.

I'm excited to finally have those set in stone. That should be pretty much it until Portland. I have enough races and enough distances to keep me busy. When I start training for my fall marathon I'll have to work them into my training schedule, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Running last week:

Monday: 6.5 miles at 8:53/mile. Felt okay. My first run of consequence after the marathon.
Tuesday: Off! Started bowling league on Tuesdays, so definitely a permanent day off through the summer.
Wednesday: 7.0 miles in 90F heat at 8:35/mile. Felt good despite the heat. Felt like I might finally be back after the marathon.
Thursday: 3.1 miles at 10pm whilst highly buzzed/slightly drunk. Not recommended. Felt like I was really seasick and the whole thing was just terrible. Barf.
Friday: 6.2 miles at 9:05/mile. This started as a "recovery jog" but ended up going from a 9:44 first mile to a 8:33 final mile. Trying to save up for Saturday.
Saturday: Decided on ten miles. Funny how much I was dreading it considering it was "only" ten miles. I dragged my feet and while catching up on blogs, noticed Runs for Cookies (Katie) had ran 10 miles the day before in 1:33:12 (9:18/mile). So I made it my goal to beat that. Ended up finishing in 1:32:28 (9:13/mile). Whatever gets my ass out the door.

My future?
Oh! So, during my long run on Saturday a bird tried to land on my fucking head. I was about six miles into the run and minding my own business and all of a sudden a bird comes screaming toward me. I, naturally, expect to it avert me once it gets close, but nope, it fucking flaps right in and LANDS ON MY FUCKING HEAD. Anyways, about a second after landing it realizes it's not where it's supposed to be and kind of freaks out and flies away. I could feel it's claws on my head and it definitely bitch-slapped me with a wing on takeoff.

Proudly, I did not break stride, although profanity was uttered. Anywho, when I got home I showered and then headed straight to Great Clips. I knew my hair was getting a little shaggy, but I didn't quite think it looked like a bird nest. Guess that bird begs to differ.

6 comments:

  1. Nice work beating Katie!! Oh and I am still laughing about the bird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yesssss. How many times did we see that Fammy Guy episode? I love those birds!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious! Although I hope it never happens to me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, "beating Katie" really isn't much of a challenge for a sub-45 10K'er! ;) I love the bird story. I laughed out loud several times just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, you would make me one very happy camper if you changed your blog comments to be imbedded underneath the post instead of a separate page... I always forget what I'm going to comment about, and I have to back-page to remember. Then I forget again.

    ReplyDelete