Thursday, May 08, 2014

VANCOUVER REFLECTIONS

After coming back to my senses.
Overall I had a great time at the Vancouver Marathon. I would like to do this race again at some point in the future... it won't be an every year type deal, it's a little bit of a haul for that, but I'd like to try it again with a functioning watch and some better weather.

I received a lot of sympathy for not getting 3:30 and honestly that didn't bug me at all! I would have really liked that, yes, but considering everything I was thrilled to get 3:33. Sub 3:30 will probably be more of a focus for the Portland Marathon this fall. Until then, I'll enjoy my three and a half minute PR! Coming up that final hill I wasn't even sure I PRed and at that point I couldn't have cared less. To see 3:33 on the clock when I finished was amazing!

So during the race and immediately after I was not in love with the marathon. Lots of four letter words were said. Well, as they say, time heals all wounds. I look back fondly at this race now. Seawall Thomas hates me, but he was in a crabby mood. I'm not about to run a bunch of marathons, I still think one or two a year will be fine, but I do enjoy the challenge and would like to keep trying to work my time down.

This race also gave me an appreciation for the Portland Marathon in that it's in my own backyard. I am not the best tourist and get what they call the ye olde "traveler's bowel." Which means my body doesn't like to poop away from it's home base. It's been on Oprah. ANYWAYS, thankfully I didn't have to go during the race, but my body did finally relent once we got back to the hotel.

In addition to running the race a little "heavier" than I would have liked, another less gross part of me being a bad tourist is I really suck at sleeping in different beds, especially if someone else is in the room. I used to be able to fall asleep anywhere, any time, with any noise. Now I cannot stand the sound of other people breathing and snoring sends me into a rage of a thousand suns. So sleeping noises plus not the most comfortable hotel bed plus race anticipation equals not happy Thomas. I was amazed I was able to sleep as much as I did, but it wasn't the best sleep and I kept waking up.

Long story short, I'll look forward to Portland and sleeping in my own bed, pooping in my own toilet, etc. I feel like with another summer of training and a working watch I'll be able to have another strong race this fall. I do have to get used to being a better traveler though, as I'd like to do Detroit, Chicago, New York, etc. So time to buck up, increase my fiber intake, and hire Michael Jackson's doctor to give me some sleeping "milk."

I look forward to doing some shorter distance races this late spring and summer. I'll have a post here soon about my upcoming races, which should keep me busy until the Portland Marathon. Hopefully I keep getting faster and can keep setting PRs!

1 comment:

  1. You really did used to sleep anywhere. Remember that time we went to Seattle and slept in the floor sharing half a padded mat? haha I was so angry you slept well!

    ReplyDelete