Friday, July 25, 2014

DOUBLE TROUBLE

Smiles in selfie at mile 15 may be more
misleading than they appear.
One of the things I mentioned that was frustrating when putting together my marathon training plan was the amount of conflicts I had this summer. It seemed like I did nothing last summer and was able to hit all my training runs with ease. This summer has been a lot busier, which is great, but it has thrown a wrench into my training plan.

I'm determined not to let running ruin my enjoyment of the summer months, so in return I have to be flexible. I can still train decently, I'll just have to do things I don't normally do and probably won't want to do. Case in point, the last two nights. Normally I'd be running my first twenty miler of the training cycle this weekend. Problem is, I'll be out of town in Seattle all weekend doing touristy stuff and a twenty mile run isn't in the cards.

The solution? Get my long run in during the week. Now, I couldn't stomach the thought of doing twenty miles sometime after work, so I decided to do a different approach inspired by the Hansons Marathon Method. Basically, their equivalent of the 20-miler is 10 miles one night followed by 16 miles the next night. Thus, you are getting in 26 miles in two nights and your legs are already tired before you run 16. The net effect is about the same as one individual 20 miler.

So on Wednesday at run group I did ten miles instead of the usual seven. Nobody joined me so I was all alone for most the run. Hoka was there letting people test their new shoes, which meant free food and beer after the run and a raffle with all sorts of prizes. I missed it all because by the time I got back they were packing everything up and all the runners were already gone. Sometimes being dedicated sucks. Would have been nice to just say "fuck it" and join in on the fun.

Trusty ol' Portland waterfront route.
That was easy though compared to last night. Sixteen miles after work. I ran from my office right when I got off because if I fought traffic home and then ran I'd be running in the dark for the last half hour. So off I went to run for 2 hours and 40 minutes along the Portland Waterfront down to the Sellwood Bridge, a five mile out and back onto the Springwater Corridor, then back up along the waterfront on the east side to my office. By the time I was done it was almost 8:30pm and the sun was fading. That, my friends, took dedication.

Physically the run wasn't too bad. My legs were already kind of achy all day from the ten the night before but they held up pretty well. Did a normal long run pace of about 9:40/mile and they held up pretty well. Definitely sore and worn toward the end, but not to the point where I want to cry, like often on twenty milers. I could tell it was harder than a usual sixteen and I was definitely putting good work in to get myself ready for the marathon. It just sucked because it seemingly took FOREVER. I just wanted to be home.

Anyways, I got that done! I'm going to run a super easy six tonight and then I can take off Saturday and Sunday without guilt. Can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. I think it's awesome that you're dedicated enough to find a way around the scheduling issues! The 10-16-6 was a great idea, and probably good for your legs to try something different. Hope you're having a fun weekend in Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you missed out on all the fun, food and beer. Way to make the training work for you!

    ReplyDelete