Thursday, July 10, 2014

PORTLAND MARATHON TRAINING (OR LACK THEREOF)

My underwhelming training so far and overwhelming amount of obstacles to come. I also just realized I completely forgot about race pace runs. I am a hot mess. Exchange a lot of those tempo runs on Wednesdays for pace runs, k?
Well, preparing to write this post has really pissed me off. My training plan this time around is only 16 weeks and for the first three weeks I haven't even hit 30 fucking miles. How do I honestly expect to succeed at a marathon when I am slacking off and not even hitting thirty miles? That should be the minimum per week, not a level yet to be reached!

Now, I know I am in decent shape. I can run a half no problem. I would consider myself in "half plus" shape, because I could run 16 or 18 miles now and not have it be super difficult (I just did a hilly 16). However, the goal is to prepare for the Portland Marathon, to hopefully get a sub 3:30, and I am not going to do that by running three times per week for under 30 miles.

The main issue was I avoided looking at my marathon training plan for three weeks after my training actually "started." I was just kind of winging it. So when I went to fill it in for this post and saw what I had actually done... I was pretty pissed off. I skipped one day because my ankle was acting up, which was smart, but the other two "misses" were just to taper for races and that should not be my priority right now. Go out and run an easy four or something, just don't skip it.

Anyways, the good news is there is still almost three whole months until the Portland Marathon. I am in "half plus" shape. If I hit these final 12 weeks hard I'll be able to overcome the less than inspiring start. The issue with this is, and this caused a lot of rage in addition to the early slacking, is I have so many conflicts. There is a stretch of seven weekends in July/August and I will be home for a grand total of TWO of them. How the fucknuggets am I supposed to get my shit in?

Brandon, displaying me at mile 18 of the
marathon if I don't get my shit together.
And this leads me to the realization I want my summer. Summer in Oregon is awesome and I want to enjoy it to its fullest. My summer this year is packed with a lot more fun than last year. And that's a good thing. You only get to go around this world once, so I'd rather do it having fun than sitting at home because I have to hit my Saturday morning training run. I'm not going to qualify for Boston by cutting my training short and running 30-something miles a week with 4 runs. I accept that.

So, the goal is to get my long runs in on the weekdays some weeks. I really hope I can make these happen. I don't see myself getting a long run in during my trip to the East Coast, getting any run in will be difficult enough, so I guess my goal that week will be just to stay in decent enough shape. I also need to do more speedwork... I haven't done that yet this training cycle (in three weeks I have two races and one tempo run, so better than nothing).

That all changes tonight! I'm going to do pyramid intervals of 2x400, 2x800, 1x1600, 2x800, and 2x400 with 400m rests, totaling 7 miles. In the hot sun. It'll be worth it though and I need to start actually taking this seriously. I'm not going to sacrifice my summer for it, but there are ways where I can still train decently enough and still have fun.

For my 2013 Portland Marathon training plan, click here.
For my 2014 Vancouver BC Marathon training plan, click here.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:42 PM

    Just wanted to throw out that imo, 16 weeks is more than enough time to train for a marathon if you've been running regularly before that. Maybe I'm biased by my own marathon results (I've done way better than my training suggests I should have) but as long as your mental game is strong and you have some sort of base, 16 weeks is a longgg time to get ready to race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true, if I started now and was serious I would be more than prepared. I just have so many conflicts and I hope I have the will to adjust my schedule accordingly. I'd rather run 20 miles on Saturday than 16 miles after work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Thomas, its so tough to figure out how to get the miles in and not let it rule your life either. Sunday I have a mid length run, mow the lawn and prep and paint one of our bed rooms, let alone do anything fun! Oh the Horror!

    ReplyDelete