Friday, July 18, 2014

TWO HOT

Like I said, it has been uncharacteristically hot for about the last week here in the Willamette Valley. Highs in the 90s and unusually muggy at about 50% humidity. Some might scoff at that, but we Oregonians are delicate flowers! I, however, have never been one to use the heat as an excuse not to run. I still get my ass out there, and if I have to dial it back a little, then fine.

Trying to look peppy after track intervals.
Wednesday at run group I was determined to hit a marathon pace run. So I was targeting about 7:55 a mile and ended up at 7:52. It was WAY harder than it should have been though because it was about 94 outside and pretty uncomfortable. It was kind of crazy to be hitting sub 8s in that weather, but I was able to do it. It sucked, but you know what, I finished and I am a stronger runner for it.

Same deal today, Thursday. Guess that is technically yesterday now. Needed to get speedwork in so I headed back to the track to do intervals. Decided on 6 x 800m with 400m rests. With the warm up and cool down it was six miles. Hit them in 3:22, 3:15, 3:15, 3:21, 3:22 and 3:16. That's between 6:30 and 6:44 a mile. Pretty dang good for intervals in a muggy 86F with the sun blasting down. Again, like the run the day before, it was terrible, but after I felt great and knew I had made myself better.

Now off to camp at the Umpqua with my family for three days. Can't wait! I'll do twelve miles on Saturday as my long run. Until next week!

2 comments:

  1. Great job Thomas, you rocked it! Enjoy the vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief! You make me feel like such a baby for whining when it's 80 degrees outside. And humid. Michigan is always humid! Anyway, you're fast ;)

    ReplyDelete