Thursday, July 03, 2014

2014 STARS & STRIPES HALF MARATHON PREVIEW

Last year.
I won't go into detail about previewing this race on Saturday since I did a preview last year and everything about the race is pretty much the same. Only thing I'd like to update is, like last year, it will be chip timed. The website made it sound like it wouldn't be so last year I was preparing for hand timing. Anyways, if you'd like more details on the course and whatnot, please click on the preview from last year:

2013 Stars and Stripes Half Marathon Preview

This is the race I won last year. I won't be winning it this year and that is a huge relief. I can focus on my own race and not worry about things. Alejandro is running it too and he'll beat me by a good three or four minutes. Even in the off chance I were to beat him somehow, someone else I know is going to be running it and he's an amazing runner. He'll likely go sub 1:30. Plus, I'm sure other fasties have looked at the results from last year and signed up licking their chops. So I'm excited I won't have to worry about that!

My goal is just to run a solid, steady race. It's a fairly flat course and my mile times should all remain fairly consistent (ideally). I hope to feel the same way I did during Bald Peak... strong. Despite the difficult course there I felt great and the half marathon distance was no problem. I have a feeling this will be a little harder, I won't have the downhill "breaks" and the loops and familiar scenery will make this more of a grind. However, I'm hoping to still attack the race hard and feel strong.

Four laps of fun!
My legs haven't felt great for about a week so I'm hoping they recover in time for Saturday. I'll be taking it easy today and on the Fourth (nothing keeps you in check the night before like a looming half marathon) so hopefully they feel better by then. My ankle is much better but still somewhat sore. I don't think it will be a problem though.

GOALS:

"A" Goal: Sub 1:38. This is 7:27/mile, meaning I'd probably want to run 7:25/mile average on my watch just to be safe. This will be a stiff challenge but I think I can do it!

"B" Goal: PR, meaning 1:39:40 or less, set at this race last year. Since that race I've ran two half marathons, one in Miami and the one at Bald Peak. So I really haven't had a realistic chance at a new PR. I'd be disappointed if I didn't get this.

"C" Goal: If my legs don't recover or feel fresher by Saturday I could see myself struggling to a 7:45 average or something. Beat my first half marathon time of 1:42:32.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe it's already been a YEAR since you won the half-marathon! Since you've now won a couple of races, I'm sure it's no big deal to you now ;) Can't wait to hear how you do! I'm sure you'll exceed your expectations, per usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you'll get your A goal buddy. Good luck and can't wait to hear how ya do! I smell a repeat winner!!!

    ReplyDelete