Thursday, August 10, 2006

Gather round everyone, it's storytime!

So I've been scanning Craigslist for TVs to buy for the new apartment. Kenny has a 19" but that wasn't going to be big enough for the main room, I wanted something more impressive. Anyways I checked a lot at work, even went after a 27" one but the reply e-mail was sorted into the junk mail folder and I didn't discover that until too late. Thank goodness for that though, or else I wouldn't have this story to tell.

I see this great 32" TV at work at something like 10:50am. Getting really excited I reach for the cell phone to call the guy because he just posted it like 20 minutes ago and I knew I was going to be first. But hell, I forgot my cell phone at home. Gah. This guy wanted a call too, no e-mail. So I facebook/myspace messaged Laurel (who hadn't woken up yet) to call the guy for me. Anyways she got up soon and got on it (gracias). Anyways, we had the TV saved for us and were to pick it up later that night.

The TV was up in Vancouver and we were supposed to pick it up at 8:00 so we (Laurel came with to keep me company) left around 7:30pm. Anyways we sail through Portland and are about to cross the Interstate bridge but its up to let a boat go by!


Blast! Click for bigger version.


Turned out to be only a few minutes so it wasn't that bad. As we are getting off the freeway (exit 5) I realize I never took money out of the bank. It was $100 and the guy wanted cash, so oh shit. Anyways, Umpqua Banks aren't extremely common, I knew there was one somewhere in Vancouver but it could be anywhere. So we spotted a WinCo Foods store and stopped in. Withdrew cash from an ATM with fees of course, so it ended up being $102.50. Whatever, what's two and a half dollars?

So we head back over the freeway and in the correct direction of their house, and what do you know, three blocks later there is THE ONE FUCKING UMPQUA BANK IN ALL OF VANCOUVER. Oh well, at that point I just laughed. What else could happen? A lot.

Anyways we get kinda lost but eventually find the house after calling the guy and having him lead us into their driveway. It was a nice house occupied by this guy, his wife, their two kids, and their black lab dog. The 1950s would be proud. But really, their kids were really cute (Sam and Holly, I think) the dog was nice, and the guy was very dedicated to getting the TV hoooked up to something so I could see the picture and make sure it worked.

Anyways the thing was huge and I was impressed. Finally we moved it into another room and hooked it up to the cable. Everything looked good so I paid the people and then we tried to load it into my car. Therein lies the problem.

Wouldn't fit in the trunk. Wouldn't fit in the back seat. The only option left was try to wedge it in the front seat with the seat way back (gangsta style yo). So somehow we managed to shove it in, but still its not completely in. There is a corner on the top that just won't fit. It's already encroaching on the driver's seat so it wouldn't go in any further. Laurel then points out we could roll down the window and see if it fits what that corner sticking out.

Sure enough we roll down the window and managed to shut the door. So there is a corner of the TV sticking out the window as we fly south back down I-5.


It was hard to make right turns.



Not so good for the aerodynamic aspect of the car with the corner sticking out.


So finally we get back to Tualatin and have a dandy of a time getting back out of the car. Finally, with my dad helping, we manage to shove it back out. It was basically like giving birth, but was much shorter at about 10 minutes. We moved it upstairs into my room where it will stay until I go to college.


Did not think that one through.


Anyways, victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment