Sunday, March 16, 2014

2014 SHAMROCK RUN 15K RACE REPORT

The post-race celebration at Tom McCall Waterfront Park.
Well, that went well. Apparently I greatly underestimated my own abilities. The only time I remember completely shattering my own expectations like that was for my first ever half marathon. I thought there was no way in HELL I was going to go sub 1:10 today, let alone 1:06:16. I honestly was a little worried that sub 1:11 was too hard of a "A" goal.

Either I have gotten much stronger in the last few months or I just had a ridiculously good race that likely won't be repeated. I tend to lean toward the getting better option, just because I have done a lot of miles and started doing more speedwork. A mere four months ago I was struggling to a 7:14/mile on the easier-than-Shamrock Give'n'Gobble course though. So we'll see. I think it is some of both.

The night before didn't start things off on the best foot. I had a load of laundry take FOREVER to dry and by the time I hit the pillow it was midnight. I was annoyed I was up that late and then also freaking out about the race. Which led me to lay awake for a while. So I probably actually fell asleep at like 1:00, then it was a fitful night of sleep and I even woke up multiple times before my 5:45am alarm. Unheard of for Thomas. I was freaking out a little and got slightly over four hours of sleep. Score!

Elevation chart from the race. I find this much more accurate than the one
I posted in the preview.

Anyways, pretty uneventful early morning. Shoved a banana and granola bar in my face and hit the road. Took the MAX over from Lloyd Center and met Alejandro, Libbie, Kayla, and some other people. The weather wasn't too bad, 48 and overcast. Was able to take my sweatshirt off and still be fine. Got into the right corral area this year, although I just ended up hopping the fence. Don't know where the fuck you are even supposed to get into that thing.

Pretty soon the gun sounded and we were off. Less weaving this year in the 7-8 minute corral than the 8-9 minute corral last year, but still more than I would have liked. First half mile or so was annoyingly busy. It eventually loosed up though and by the time we hit Broadway I could pretty much pick my own line. Hit the first mile in 7:05. Right on schedule!

Not the greatest picture, but me after setting a new PR!
One thing about this race was my legs felt AMAZING. As in, I didn't feel them at all. It was awesome. The only thing causing an issue was my labored breathing. Wish my legs felt that awesome all the time. Seriously felt like you could take a hatchet to my calf I would be fine! Second mile 6:53. Okay, maybe a little fast but I'll bank some time for the hill.

Up the hill on Broadway we went. This was a little steeper than I remember. Maybe I shouldn't have downplayed it so much in my preview. Just keep charging. By now it was sprinkling rain and that felt awesome. Never got beyond a sprinkle and it helped me from overheating. That mile up Broadway came in at 7:00 on the nose (planned for 7:20). This is going well.

Then came Terwilliger. Honestly, I can't believe how well I was able to climb those 450 feet. The elevation chart in the preview is bullshit, there were not any downhills during the uphill really. I thought there were, but it was just "flat" breaks. And I'm pretty sure they were still slightly uphill. Anyways, I charged up the hill and felt pretty good. For the way I was feeling I couldn't believe my watch telling me I was running 7:40ish still. Never once did I want to start walking like I did for the entire last mile a year ago.

Those miles came in at 7:31, 7:43, 7:40. I was shooting for about 8:15 on each. By this time I realize things are going crazy good. Can't believe how spry I feel. At the top of the hill at the bagpipers (sweet, sweet bagpipe music) I was definitely tired but knew I could run downhill for the final three. Maybe I could break 1:10?

Down the finish we go! This is the first time I could feel my legs as they were not happy with the downhill pounding. I suck at downhill running. I pass a ton of people going up and then have a ton of people passing me going down. Oh well. I hit those final three downhill miles in 6:41, 6:51, and 6:43. Still pretty fast! Felt pretty comfortable on the way down and couldn't believe the race was almost over.

No cops trying to stop me for traffic this year. Through the finish line I went. This is the first time I looked at the overall time on my watch. I spent the entire race with just three screens showing: Lap Pace, Lap Distance, and Current Pace. So when I stopped my watch and it read 1:06:16 I nearly shat myself. Really? Only 90 seconds off my Dad's time that seemed years and years off a year ago? Awesome!

In all, a super successful race! Blew away my own expectations and felt great doing it. Almost the exact opposite of the Miami Half Marathon 6 weeks ago! I can tell my legs will be sore for a few days, but that is a small price to pay for a SIX MINUTE PR. And to think how excited I was to PR by one second last year!

Official Results: 1:06:16, 7:07/mile. 364/8748 overall, 323/4256 male. 64/606 M25-29.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome job Thomas! You killed brother. See you in a couple week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen M.1:30 PM

    That is crazy that you were 64th in your age division going that fast! Portland is a lot like Denver in that way. Too many Prefontaines out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just came back to read this again, now that I know I'll be doing it in March. I'm slightly terrified of the elevation chart! Holy cow! That has to be like 50 overpasses for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you should probably do overpass repeats in preparation... not only do you have the uphill, but then you have the three miles of downhill and that can trash your legs too. It's fun though! ;)

      Delete