Monday, March 10, 2014

TWENTY MILER #1 IN THE BOOKS

Twenty mile loop and out-and-back from Grand Central Bakery in North Portland.
Saturday was my first twenty mile run of the Vancouver Marathon cycle. I did three in preparation for Portland last fall and I have another three planned for my Vancouver Marathon training (two now). Despite being my first twenty mile run in six months, I wasn't too nervous about it. I had done a couple of 18 mile runs in the weeks prior and knew it wouldn't be too big of an issue.

I went back and read my entries for all three of my twenty mile runs last summer. That first one I was really nervous about! The other two were also what I would call "large events," in that I felt like each one was a significant accomplishment. I guess this time around they feel like "old-hat" ... probably because I've done a marathon and I no longer fear them quite like I used to. I know I can do them, they might suck, but they are totally doable.

I woke up Saturday around 7:15am and got to Grand Central Bakery in North Portland just in time. As usual, I went with the 3:30 group, which runs around 9:45/mile. This run consisted of two parts, an eight mile loop for the first half, then a twelve mile out and back to finish it off. The eight mile loop was not an issue. I left my water bottle in my car and eight miles at 9:45/mile with good company flies by. Felt great.

Once the first loop was done we took a short break at the store. I went to the car to fetch my Gu and water. I ate one Gu and put another in my pocket for the mile 14 turnaround. The break was nice but again once I started up my legs didn't feel as fresh as they did before we stopped. Those five minute breaks tend to be a little hard on me it seems! Took a couple of miles before my legs accepted the fact we were going to be running quite a bit longer.

My "Jerry" face once I was done.
Nothing special to note. Conversation went down as the miles crept upward. Nice to experience the twenty miles with a group of other people... somehow it's not as bad as long as other people are suffering like you. Was looking forward to a brief rest at mile 14 but we ended up not stopping. Looking back, it was good training to just keep moving and eat my Gu on the run, much like I would do during a race.

Didn't feel as fresh this weekend as last during my 18 miler. By mile 14 my legs were complaining and by mile 16 I wanted to chop them off. Had to just grind on. The route along the bluff is nice in that there are very few points you have to stop until you are almost back to the store. So that twelve mile second half was almost "break-less" except in the final mile and a half or so. The stops there for traffic lights were ANNOYING because I just wanted to get done and stopping was just a tease.

Distance was spot on, hit the store with my watch reading 20.05 miles. Legs hurt but I think overall they hurt the least of all my twenty milers. I was able to walk fine the rest of the day. My legs are still worn today (Monday) but they are not sore. Just tired. I'll take it easy at group and then hopefully feel like doing some speedwork on Wednesday.

This weekend's lesson: twenty mile runs are no longer something I need to fear. They are still a challenge and a good accomplishment, but they are not quite the monumental events of the past!

Coming up... preview of Shamrock 15k this weekend. New 15k record here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment