Monday, June 11, 2012

DO NOT EAT SPICY THAI FOOD BEFORE 11 MILE RUNS

 
The Fanno Creek Trail... site of six of the eleven miles. 

Weekends are now time for long runs. Most marathon training programs have one long run a week and naturally this falls on weekends for us workin' folk. While I am not training for a marathon yet, I am training for a half and want to ramp up my mileage anyways. There is a certain pleasure you get knowing you 'ran a long ways' and really these runs aren't any harder than other runs, they just take longer.

This weekend was moving weekend for me- I had recently closed on my house and needed to move my stuff from the apartment. Since Sunday was moving day, I needed to get my long run out of the way on Saturday. I had spent most of Saturday packing up my apartment with the help of Libbie. Once we had enough of that I took her out to Thai food as a thanks for helping me.

This was a huge mistake because I gorged myself on spicy Pad Thai after only having a Clif Bar to that point (it was after 3pm by the time we ate). I was uncomfortably full. I had to lay down for a good ninety minutes because my belly was not happy with me. Anyways, before I know it 6:30 rolls around and I still haven't run. I'm still full as fuck but strap on the shoes anyways. Gotta get it done.

I decided to run to the Fanno Creek Trail path from my apartment, a route I tested out earlier in the week. It is 2.5 miles to the trailhead, so I ran there and back with some flair for a six miler. This time, I would be doing my usual loop on the Fanno Creek Trail, which is just over six miles. Typically I drive to the trailhead, but I learned a shortcut under 99W from my Monday running group and it was only 2.5 miles from my apartment. 2.5+6+2.5=11 ... sounds good to me! Plus, you could run the whole thing without stopping theoretically... you had to cross a couple roads, but no major ones.

Anyways, I finally get to running. It is nice outside, partly sunny, and my stomach is behaving itself for the most part. Since I will be running 11 miles, my goal pace was 8:20/mi, which allowed for slower uphills and about 8 minute miles on the flat parts. The Fanno Trail is pretty much all flat and the elevation gain/loss was on in the way there. Mostly downhill the way there, mostly uphill the way back (see chart below).


The first six miles were mostly uneventful. Besides burping up Thai a couple of times I was feeling pretty good. Running a little bit slower is the aspect I probably enjoy most about these runs. My legs felt good, my lungs felt good, my stomach hurt a little but was manageable.

About six miles in I planned to stop for water and a Gu. Well, there was no water fountain in that whole damn park, I was scanning for over a mile and didn’t see anything. So I decided to stop anyways and eat my Gu. This was completely ridiculous, I had 1400 calories of Pad Thai in my belly and I was going to squirt a little Gu on top. I really wanted to try another one though so logic went out the window. I had the strawberry banana flavor... it was good but vanilla bean was still better.

The whole break lasted about 90 seconds. I was really thirsty now but there was still no water fountain. I knew of a water fountain about 2.5 miles down the trail so I figured I'd stop there for a drink. My tummy was a little more unhappy now, trying to remind me I was full and don't put anything else in me please. I started burping up chunks of semi-digested Thai at this point. It was pretty gross. I wasn't allowing it to affect my pace though, but I really wish I could have just vomited at this point. Would have made things easier!

I get to the water fountain and I am parched. I'm almost nine miles into my run and still feeling pretty good, sans belly. I drink about six gulps from the water fountain and it tastes so good. My belly did NOT like that though. The water pushed me over the top. The stop was less than 90 seconds before I was off again.

Now I can really feel my belly. I am counting down the last 2.5 miles. I really want to barf. God, why did I eat so much Thai food? The hills at the end are almost a relief. I slow down to and trot up them (see photo to right - nothing like Cooper Mountain!). I can feel that my legs are tired. I pump my fists a little at the 10 mile mark. First time in double digits! I plod on. My belly still really hurts. On the small downhill portions I am mostly taking it easy, I can tell my legs are tired. Finally I go up the last hill and then head down to the apartments.

I let myself loose on that last downhill and have got to admit, it felt pretty good. I think I had a small shot of adrenaline for finishing because I was feeling good. I took a short little warm down walk and then headed back to my apartment. My belly feels better now that I am not running. My legs are definitely tired and I have to take the stairs slowly. I feel good though, very accomplished. A hot bath never felt better!

Final run: 11.44 miles in 1:34:56, 8:18/mile.

Splits:
Mile 1: 8:43 (easy start to warm up)
Mile 2: 7:50 (downhill)
Mile 3: 8:02 (flat)
Mile 4: 8:00 (flat)
Mile 5: 7:58 (flat... look how steady these are)
Mile 6: 8:21 (slight uphill near Fanno Farmhouse? Fell off a little)
Mile 7: 7:48 (made up for it)
Mile 8: 8:05 (chugging along)
Mile 9: 7:59 (under 8 in mile NINE!)
Mile 10: 8:41 (after water... begin trudging uphill)
Mile 11: 9:39 (more uphill)
0.44 mi: 3:54 (8:51/mi - uphill then downhill finish)

No comments:

Post a Comment