Wednesday, June 20, 2012

RECOVERY JOG & NEW 5K ROUTE

Yesterday I went on my first run since that 15.4 mile expedition. I skipped the PRC running group the night before; even though I probably could have done a easy three miles then, I figured I should just play it safe and not push myself. My legs deserved a break of at least a day.

Last night I went on a "recovery jog" on what I have determined is my new 5k course. One of the pains of moving, besides the actual moving itself, unpacking, changing addresses, etc. is finding new running routes. I had trusty 3, 4, 5, and 6 mile routes from my apartment. All with minimal car interruption! I don't know the roads around my new house as well so I just can't go for a five mile run without thinking.

Well, it feels like cheating, but I think I have found my new 5k. I really like it! Hills are unavoidable but the hills on this route aren't too bad. Goes up and down a couple times, so it's just not one big up and then one big down. It's simple and has a clever detour to avoid a Murray crosswalk with light. And the total distance is somewhere just north of 3.2 miles, just like my previous 5k was.

The actual run itself went well. For being just 48 hours removed from the giant run, I felt great. My muscles were fine, if anything my joints were the ones that were sore. I took it easy and seemed to loosen up as the run went on (8:40, 8:16, 8:13). My left calf, the one that cramped on Sunday, did act up a little towards the end. A couple of weird pangs but nothing major. I'll make sure it stretch it out extra well before I run next time. After the run I felt great and it seemed to fly by!

This week's long run will be on Saturday I think - and a lot shorter!

No comments:

Post a Comment