Saturday, June 30, 2012

RUNNING UPDATE FOR JUNE 30

After Tuesdays good run, Wednesday I took off for bowling league. That went well, I bowled above my average and my team won all four points that week. In the last two weeks we are 7-1, which is way better than we were doing (toward the bottom of the league). Oh, and one guy bowled a 300 in the league. That was the first time I ever saw someone bowl a 300, it was cool. They were on the lane right next to us.

On Thursday I ran an "easy" 10k with plans to run a fast 10k like Tuesday on Friday. I ran pretty consistent miles (averaged 8:40ish) and it felt pretty good. My legs didn't feel super "fresh," not quite as good as Tuesday, but fine.

We're going on an adventure Charlie!
So on Friday it was time for a "fast run." Things started off on the wrong foot, I forgot to band-aid my nipples (a post for another time). So I was worried about my nips getting raw and then it started to drizzle. Wetness is extra bad for the nips. In addition to that, I just wasn't feeling it. My legs felt old and tired.

Anyways, I started off well but then quickly fell off. My mile times plummeted (7:37, 7:39, 7:53, 8:08, 8:26) and I just felt tired. I was still going to complete the 10k because I hate using excuses and whatnot, but shortly after mile five I could feel my nips starting to hurt and I decided to pack it in early. I could have easily finished the six, but the nipples go from feeling a little off to bleeding within a mile or two. So I didn't want to risk it.

That set up my long run today, my third day in a row running. I wasn't looking forward to it because of the run on Friday. I felt like I needed to take time off. But I had a great night of sleep (11 hours) and since it was a long run, took it easy. Seriously easy, averaged 9:25, which is 20 seconds slower than my 15 mile run. It is also hillier, but still, I was taking it easy on purpose.

Glad to report the run went really well. I just decided to run my 10k route and then follow it up with the 5k route to make things easy. Didn't want to drive anywhere special today. My calf felt GREAT during the run, didn't feel it a bit. Really haven't felt it the last few runs, on the Friday crap run it twinged weird once, but that was it. So it is much better!

To recap, today's long run felt good and went well after a crappy run Friday and a good but easy run Thursday. Taking tomorrow off (although, I am taking Brandon to the waterpark, so that will be a workout in a way) and then running with the PRC group Monday. We'll see after Monday how I feel... if I still feel like a rickety old man I might take Tuesday and Wednesday off. Or maybe just a 5k Tuesday, easy 10k Thursday, then try a fast 10k Friday. Whatever, we'll see.

Topics to come:
 - Sensitive Nipples
 - My upcoming half marathon in Coburg, OR

2 comments:

  1. Aww adventure, Charlie! I just got ridiculously nostalgic. I wonder if Nate is still paying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your blog is staring to make me really sad! I hope tomorrow's run goes well.

    ReplyDelete