Monday, October 28, 2013

FIRST LONG RUN BACK

The highlight of my run on Saturday. Don't act like you're not jealous.
Saturday I finally did my first long run since finishing the Portland Marathon. It seems like it has been forever, but it has only been three weeks. The weekend after the race I was recovering and just did a 10k, and last week I go busy and didn't run at all. So honestly it could be a lot worse! I had the chance to let my schedule ruin Saturday's long run, but I made it happen, even waking up earlier than I would like to get it in. So I am happy about that!

I ended up doing a half marathon for my long run. I was going to settle on 12, but was feeling guilty about skipping the long run the weekend before. I wasn't feeling super fresh and I think 15 would have been a bad decision first long run back (plus, I was pressed for time), so I settled on a half marathon. Can't do 13, have to do 13.1.

The run went really well. The highlight was running over a pedestrian bridge I normally run under. It's pretty sad how excited I was for that. So after adding the neighborhood navigation to make that happen I still had 11 miles. I was just going along at a nice pace, not too easy, not too hard. I had a football game to make at 1pm so I couldn't dilly dally too much.

Around mile six at a stop for water I made the decision to try and finish the half marathon in under two hours. I was currently on pace for about a 2:02 or so and would need to pick it up. I then proceeded to hit 5 out of the next 7 miles under 9:00 after averaging 9:15/mile to that point. I was worried about the Davies hill screwing things up but I managed to do that mile in 8:46.

The rest of the run was along the Fanno Creek Trail. I haven't run in there for a couple weeks since switching to the winter route at PRC and boy it is pretty in the fall! Shame it gets dark so early now, I would have really enjoyed running through there during October! By the time I do another long run most the leaves will be on the ground.

I was able to finish the half marathon with about 90 seconds to spare before hitting two hours. So I felt pretty accomplished that I was able to go under two hours on a relatively easy training run pace. I didn't tire too bad toward the end and certainly think I could have done two more miles without too much pain. So next run I'll shoot for 15!

After my 6:56 mile on Wednesday night and intervals the day after I have a muscle on my right butt area that is bothering me. It seems like a different one than I injured before Miami, but maybe it's the same one (both got pissed after speed focused runs). It seems to be running over a bone and almost 'catching' when I walk. I think it just got a little strained and is swollen. Should take it easy and ice it. 5k this weekend with PR as the goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment