Tuesday, October 01, 2013

FIVE DAYS

Let the countdown to the Portland Marathon begin. It is coming entirely too fast! Could we just delay it a month or so?

Yesterday I went to run group and ran 5.5 miles. We switched to the winter route since the Fanno Creek Trail was flooded in parts due to the weather we've been having. I'm happy to say that run went really well. The winter route is much hillier than what we run in the summer, so it was a good test of my muscle strain that was aggravated by hills. I am pleased to say I ran the whole thing at a 9:00/mile clip without any problems at all. So that was very encouraging!

On Wednesday I'll run 3 miles REALLY easy at run group. Probably shoot for 9:45s. A final shake out run. Reading up on tapering there are conflicting theories. Some say don't scale back too much, some say take it really easy. Different strokes for different folks. My body doesn't recover super quick so I am definitely doing the "take it easy" approach. I think the most important thing for me come Sunday will be how fresh I feel. Doing 10 miles instead of 20 miles the week before isn't going to make a huge difference after months and months of training. Feeling fresh and recharged will.

So after my run tomorrow I don't think I'll run again. I might go on a couple walks but otherwise I'll just concentrate on resting up.

Weather watch. Guess which one of the days to the right is the marathon. Can only laugh at this point. We're still a few days out and light showers wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I'm not too worried about it. It will likely change before Sunday, but even if that forecast holds, it should be fine. The real challenge with marathons is heat, and we won't be having that. So just as long as it doesn't pour, I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment